February 27, 2013

Footprints 10-year anniversary

February 27, 2003--the day that Chris Jenkins was found--was the ending of a four-month long search for a beloved son and the beginning of a battle for answers. It marked the day that Jan and Steve Jenkins had to begin asking the sort of questions that no parent should ever have to utter. It was also the day that the public began to question how we could better protect young adults.

Jan and Steve Jenkins
at press conference in 2006
(Credit: Minnesota Public Radio)
Chris's story and the tenacity of his parents, sparked an outcry in La Crosse, Wisc., national media coverage and a book and international speaking campaign on safety by Jan. This is but one part of the Jenkins family legacy; this remarkable family has touched thousands of lives, including mine.

Chris's story marked my own call to action to help the missing and the beginning of the Footprints site in 2003. In the months that followed, I began to pick up on some of the challenges that face families in the search for a missing young adult, particularly if he happens to be male. This site was one small way to help.

I want to thank all of my readers for sticking with me for the last 10 years. You are such a caring, loyal bunch. Many of you have been here since the beginning--the early days when I was teaching myself code to make the site more user friendly, and when I was simply amazed to receive a few comments. You helped spread the word.

For those new to the site, thank you for signing up, for getting involved and showing people you care. I think you'll like it here. Over the years, heartbreak and frustration has been met with compassionate thoughts, kind and encouraging words, or even advice, not only to me, but amongst yourselves. We truly are a great community, and we care.

I am eager to see how the site evolves and, together, I hope we can continue to raise awareness and enact some real change.

Thank you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Must be devastating to lose a child in the prime of their life.