February 28, 2011

04/16/09: Ryan Eback, 27, Minot, ND

On April 16, 2009, Ryan Luke Eback disappeared from Minot, ND, after being pulled over by police on suspicion of DUI. According to authorities, Eback fled from police and jumped into the Mouse River about a half a mile away at around 1 a.m. At the time Eback entered the water, the river was high due to runoff from spring snow melt, and the temperature was near freezing.

According to the Minot Daily News, the North Dakota Highway Patrol had made the traffic stop approximately one block north of Railway Avenue in east Minot after suspecting Eback, who was driving, of an alcohol violation. Authorities say the trooper was about to conduct a field sobriety test when Eback fled on foot into a residential area.

Search for Ryan Eback
(Photo Credit: Minot Daily News)
"The Minot Police Department assisted in the search and located Eback as he ran south across the railroad tracks toward the river," according to the paper. "A Minot police officer observed Eback jump into the river and disappear under the water." (Minot Daily News, 4/16/09.)

An extensive, multi-agency search was conducted of the river in the area of the walk bridge on the east side of Roosevelt Park. Side-scanning sonar and divers were used in the search effort, which was hampered by a strong current and cold water.

Eback's body surfaced on May 6 in the Mouse River in the area where authorities had been searching. Ryan's family and friends are left with many unanswered questions, such as why Eback would run toward the river, how he was able to outrun a police officer when police say he was so intoxicated as to jump in, and why the recovery effort took so long despite the use of advanced equipment and dive teams in a relatively small area.

About Ryan Eback

Ryan Luke Eback, 27, Minot, died April 16, 2009, in Minot and was found May 6, 2009, in Minot.

Ryan was born in Devils Lake on May 27, 1981, and was raised there. He moved to Minot in 2000, where he gained employment at NQI, Terhorst Manufacturing, Wholesale Supply, and most recently Liechty Homes, all of Minot. Ryan answered his true calling by moonlighting as a logger, working privately in Devils Lake and Minot over the years.

Ryan was a devoted San Francisco 49ers fan. He enjoyed the outdoor picnics and grilling with his family and friends.

Ryan was a devoted father to his daughter, Alora, with whom he shared many cherished memories. He had a simple and fulfilling life that he lived on his own terms. Ryan is lost to all who loved him but never forgotten.

Those who shared in his life: Parents, Mark and Cindy Kilmer, Minot; daughter, Alora Eback, and her mother, Katina Tengesdal, both of Minot; sister, Amanda Clegg, Fort Dix, N.J.; brothers, Robert Eback, Minot, and Jamie Miller, Fargo; grandmother, Sheila Blasky of Kentucky; and grandfather, Ken Koppen, Devils Lake; and numerous aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.

Ryan was preceded in death by his grandmother, Donna Koppen, and grandfather, Glenn Blasky.

The funeral was held Wednesday, May 13, 2009, at 2 p.m. at Bethany Lutheran Church, Minot.

Source: Minot Daily News Obituary, May 12, 2009.

Facts in This Case
Name/age: Ryan Eback, 27
Last seen: 4/16/09, Minot, ND near Railway Avenue
Recovered: 5/6/09, Mouse River, Minot, ND
Physical Description: 5'8", 170 pounds, brown hair, brown eyes


Lisa said...

Another young man who was lost in the river while evading authorities:

Missing man's body found in river
By Cindy Iutzi/Staff Writer

Published: Monday, March 21, 2011
2:55 PM CDT

Missing man's body found in river
By Cindy Iutzi/Staff Writer
Published: Monday, March 21, 2011 2:55 PM CDT
KAHOKA, Mo. – The body of a Keokuk man last seen entering the Des Moines River on Nov. 3, 2010, at Alexandria, Mo., was discovered Wednesday in the Mississippi River along Lincoln County, Mo.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Water Patrol Division recovered the body, which on Friday was identified during an autopsy as Jack L. Stevens, 31, according to Clark County Sheriff Paul Gaudette.

Stevens had plunged into the Des Moines River while attempting to escape arrest by the Clark County Sheriff’s office for felony possession of anhydrous ammonia in a non-approved container.

Multiple law enforcement authorities searched the Des Moines River for an extensive time, but were not able to find any sign of Stevens.

Stevens and Greg A. Meierotto, 43, each on ATVs, had led officers in a chase that day across the levees northwest of Alexandria, Mo., and then split off just southwest of the Smokerz Outlet in Alexandria and went in different directions.

The pursuit ended when Stevens got off his ATV under the U.S. Highway 61 bridge on the Missouri side of the Des Moines River and fled on foot.

Source: http://www.dailygate.com/articles/2011/03/21/news/dgc233257.txt

C said...

So, lets see if I have this clear.. these men plunged into freezing water and went under never resurfacing- according to police. OK. Sounds like absolute garbage to me. No way!