July 14, 2010

03/30/06: Manvir Sidhu, 17, Abbotsford, BC, Canada

"Munny Sidhu is still missing.
Seventeen-year old Manvir "Munny" Sidhu, disappeared from his family's home near Rotary Stadium in Abbotsford, British Columbia, on March 30, 2006. The W.J. Mouat Secondary school student had returned from hanging out with friends and spoke briefly with his brother A.J. and his wife, Tara, before asking his mom, Kashmir, to make him breakfast the next morning. He was last seen going to his second floor bedroom at 10:30 p.m. At approximately 7:30 a.m., Munny’s mother, Kashmir Sidhu, found his bed empty and his blinds and window open. The bed had been made up to look as though someone were in it.

His disappearance is a mystery to the Sidhu family. Sidhu’s brother, A.J., says the teen was a “good kid” who got along well with his family, respected his elders, and was not involved in any criminal activity. He also did not have a history of depression or mental illness.

One of the few clues in the case came in at 5:45 that same morning from a few of Munny’s friends and his girlfriend. All received text messages from Munny’s cell phone saying he was travelling to India with a woman. However, the writing tone and style were not typical of Munny, and it would be highly uncharacteristic of him to leave without notifying his family, A.J. says. Plus, Munny’s wallet and passport, along with his eyeglasses and contact lenses, were found in his bedroom the morning after he disappeared.

Additional clues have been slow in coming. "For the first week we felt like things were happening, but we haven't heard anything since then,” A.J. told The Province. A possible lead from a surveillance camera at the Abbotsford airport fizzled after police determined that a man on the video wasn’t Munny. A private investigator hired by the family also failed to turn up any clues.

The wait and anguish of not having any answers is taking a toll on the Sidhu family. A.J. told The Province that his parents "try to keep busy, but this has aged them five years in one.”

A.J., 31, has also been haunted by his brother’s disappearance. He runs an independent record label, Thuggish Records Inc., and had plans to help Munny record a rap album after he graduated in 2006. He now tries to deal with his brother's disappearance through his music and has also tattooed his brother's name on his back. “I miss hanging out with him. I miss having him at my side,” he said. “Instead, I wonder if he's still alive."

He added that every time he hears a body has been found, his “heart sinks” and he wonders if it could be his brother. "I just want police to hurry up and do the autopsy and find out if it's him,” he said. “When it's not, we wait for the next body…..not knowing just kills a person."

At this point, the family just needs some answers.

"In my heart, there's a slim chance for him to turn up alive, but if he does, that would be the best gift in the world," said A.J. (Abbotsford News, 03/30/10).

Munny Sidhu is described as 5’10,” 155 pounds, 2” scar on back of head, wearing a brown hoodie with “Carolina Tar Heels” in white.

The Abbotsford Police Department has said that they believe people are out there who have information regarding Munny’s disappearance. Police are urging them to come forward. Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Wanda Lane of the Abbotsford Police Department at 604-864-4748. The family has also set up a Facebook page that lists the phone number of a hotline at 604-859-5225.

Quick Facts:
Name/age: Manvir "Munny" Sidhu, 17
Last seen: 3/30/06, Abbotford, BC, Canada near Rotary Stadium
Physical Description: 5’10,” 155 pounds, 2” scar on back of head, wearing a brown hoodie with “Carolina Tar Heels” in white.
Munny is described as "good kid" who respected his elders, had an optimistic attitude, enjoyed playing basketball and football with this friends, and was a gifted writer of rap music and poetry.


Monique777 said...

I don't think this guy would sneak out of his house without his contact lenses. So, someone came in through the window, abducted him, made his bed to look as though someone was in it? Then emails his friends saying he went to India? This would not seem to be the actions of a random stranger either.

I'd be curious about the women he was seeing and if anyone suspected he was seeing a woman from India. Love can make us do crazy things.

Lisa said...

It would be interesting to know if he was able to get by without his contacts/glasses and whether he ever went without them. If not, it could indicate that he left spontaneously. I do think the odds seem to favor him leaving of his own accord, but I think the signs all point to a plan to return.

There are a few clues: 1) He asked his mother to make breakfast the next day, 2) he didn't bring his wallet or identification, 3) he wasn't wearing his contacts/glasses, 4) he made up his bed like he was in it (also indicating he planned to be back before mom woke up). 5) He had no history of depression and seemed to be excited to graduate and cut an album. 6) He spoke with his brother and mother before he went to bed, and it doesn't sound like they noticed any behavior that was out of the ordinary.

To me, everything seems to point to the fact that he planned to come back.

Rice said...

You guys are missing the biggest clue.. and the biggest reason, everyone is HMM'ing at this entire incident..

Who goes to India without their passport?!

This one simple fact, that you cannot travel without your passport (and anyone going to India would know), turns this entire incident around from, him just randomly taking off.. to something amiss.

Blogger said...

There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting industry.

It's been said that every bettor must watch this,

Watch this or quit placing bets on sports...

Sports Cash System - Automated Sports Betting Software.